Email Safety, Phishing Scams and Viruses

Wow... that one took us by surprise. I am sure most of us, including myself thought our principal had shared another Google docs and never gave it a second thought that the link or attachment might not be legit...  Yes our principal's email got hacked and the spammer send out a very realistic looking email asking the recipient to take a look at the Google Docs he shared with us.

So what was it in that email that made me suspicious? 



  1. The subject line of the email "important document"
  2. The recipients of the email, the fact that it was sent to "undisclosed-recipient" and then to the  "teachers group"
  3. the generic title of the documents, The principal always gives his documents a "title" before he shares it, like "staff agenda etc... this one was just too generic worded. 
  4. The wording of the email itself was weird, it used language that our Principal never uses..
  5. The way the email ended: "Thank You, Best Regards"
  6. The email did not have his full signature on it.
  7. The fact that I am always suspicious of every email that comes with an attachment or a link for me to click on even when it is from people I trust!


This is what is called a "Phishing" scam! You will get an email from someone you trust, like a friend, a bank, or another official institution you trust. The email will look completely legit, they will ask you to click on a link, sign in etc to verify your information etc... NEVER do that! For your own safety if anyone or any institution asks you in an email to verify your information NEVER use the quick links provided in the email. Close out of the email program, open up a fresh web browser, go to the official website of that institution. Log in from scratch on the official website, NEVER use the links provided. Even better, pick up the phone, ask to talk to customer service of the institution (don't use the phone number provided in the email, look it up yourself), find out why (and IF they really send out those emails) and why they need the updated personal information before you give it out! What about when you get email from friends?? Just email them back before you Click on the links to verify it is legit and that they really send it.


I get ton's of "Phishing" email everyday, especially to my personal email account.Some of my examples are:

  • IRS -  they want to verify my information (since when did they start contacting people via email)
  • Bank of America - wants me to update my information
  • Facebook - notifications with links on them
  • Twitter - notifications with a link people spreading rumors about me
  • PayPal - wants me to confirm my information
  • A "friend" getting robbed while vacationing in Malaysia (or any other country) and wants me to help them out by wiring some money, the US embassy is not being helpful (this one usually sounds super realistic)
  • The good old "nigeria" emails, provide them with your bank account number and you will usually get millions deposited in to your account
There are so many more out there!!  Here is a link to some of the top 10 internet phishing scams out there right now!
Yes, this link is legit, I just added it :)

Stay safe, be suspicious, and always ask questions before you open anything or click on anything!!

No comments: